MBB-OSU is bringing another big name speaker to OSU as the 5th installment of our Conflict Resolution Speaker Series! Dr. Kenneth Cloke is a co-founder and past president of Mediators Beyond Borders. He currently serves as the director of the Center for Dispute Resolution:
“Kenneth Cloke has served as a mediator, arbitrator, attorney, coach, consultant and trainer. Ken specializes in resolving complex multi-party conflicts which include: community, grievance and workplace disputes, collective bargaining negotiations, organizational and school conflicts, sexual harassment and discrimination lawsuits, and public policy disputes. Ken also provides services in designing conflict resolution systems for organizations. He is a nationally recognized speaker and author of many books and journal articles.” – Center for Dispute Resolution
Dr. Cloke will be joining us on May 15, 2012 to present his talk: “Conflict Revolution: Mediating the Chronic Sources of Social, Economic, Political and Environmental Conflicts — How Mediators Can Help Save the Planet”
- What is our responsibility as dispute resolvers for the environmental, social, economic and political conflicts that are occurring around us?
- Can we apply conflict resolution principles to the inequalities, inequities, and dysfunctions that fuel chronic political, economic and social conflicts?
- Are we not implicitly responsible for learning to address and resolve global conflicts beyond our borders, helping to eliminate their chronic sources, and contributing to the redesign of conflict generating structures, processes, institutions and practices, so as to prevent their recurrence?
- How can mediators and dispute resolution practitioners contribute?
- And how do we bring these changes about without recreating the very problems we seek to solve?
This talk will examine the role mediators can play in helping to resolve chronic complex global conflicts, and identify ways of acting locally and internationally to build conflict resolution capacity around the world and help create a “conflict revolution.”
When: 4pm, May 15, 2012
Where: Oregon State University Memorial Union (MU) 206.
Luncheon Q&A with Dr. Cloke: Interested students and community members are welcome to join us on the day of the talk (5/15) from 12-1pm in MU 109 for a luncheon Q&A session with Dr. Cloke. Food will be provided!
Cosponsors: We are able to host this event thanks to an Educational Actvities (EdAct) grant and funding from OSU’s Team Liberation. Thanks to our cosponsors!